10 tips to reduce our environmental impact and increase energy efficiency
On International Energy Efficiency Day, we tell you our 10 tips and actions to take to reduce your environmental footprint in our latest blog post >>
Taking care of the planet is everyone’s job, but at Rointe we pay special attention to the environmental impact we cause. That’s why we work hard every day to be better at protecting our planet. March 5 is International Energy Efficiency Day, so it’s a great opportunity for us to tell you what small daily actions you can carry out to reduce your energy footprint without affecting your quality of life.
The main key to reducing environmental impact and fighting climate change is trying to be more energy-efficient. If we continue to live the way we do, it’s estimated that by 2030, humanity would need Earth to be twice the size to meet all the demands. A shocking figure that would rise to almost three by 2050.
The International Day of Energy Efficiency was born in 1998 with the aim of educating the population to make more sustainable uses of energy. In addition to all the measures taken by the Government and by companies, citizens like you can also take action on the matter so that we can move forward and make changes with just a few simple gestures. From Rointe, a leading company in the electric heating sector, we offer you a series of tips that you can put into practice to protect the planet and help you become the best at energy-efficiency:
- Equipment maintenance: Cleaning filters or embedded dirt is very useful when it comes to saving energy. You allow your products and devices to breathe and function at their best. Find out how to clean your electric radiators here.
- Equipment renewal: The use of obsolete equipment can increase energy consumption. Therefore, the purchase of new appliances with energy efficiency A +++ ratings means you’ve chosen the most energy-efficient product, lowering your energy bills and reducing the impact on the environment
- Control the temperature of fridges, heating devices and air conditioners: These electrical devices consume a significant percentage of the electricity in homes. Therefore, it is very important to correctly regulate its temperature to balance comfort with consumption.
- Saving water: It is preferable to take a shower instead of a bath and try to reduce the use of hot water as much as possible. The installation of aerators in taps or volumetric reducers in the shower can be very useful. Installing a thermostatic mixing valve with your water heater can also increase the volume of hot water available, without impacting energy-efficiency.
- Sustainable mobility: Reducing personal vehicle use and instead, using public transport, electric vehicles, car shares or walking to our destination helps to keep traffic congestion lower and reduces fuel consumption, which in turn reduces air pollution.
- Use of natural light: During daylight hours, we must try to make the most of sunlight in our day to day to avoid unnecessary use of artificial light.
- Reduced use of plugs: Unplug our electronic devices and chargers when we are not using them. It seems simple, but it can reduce your electricity bill and will extend the products useful life.
- Use of efficient bulbs: LED bulbs are the most efficient on the market, so they are our best ally for lighting. LED bulbs can use as much as 80% less energy than halogen bulbs. LED bulbs are more expensive, but make up their cost over time by increasing your energy-efficiency and preventing frequent lamp replacements
- Empower our family and friends: Trying to instil good actions in the people around us is always useful in raising awareness. The more we do, the more they will want to do. Inviting someone to change their habits alongside you means you can both enjoy a more efficient lifestyle.
- Installation of automated lighting systems: In areas of the home or office that aren’t used regularly, it’s a great idea to install presence or motion detectors so that the lights turn on and off automatically when the room is not in use.
So, what do we do at Rointe to improve our energy efficiency?
We are committed long-term to sustainability. That’s why we’ve improved our facilities to reduce our energy consumption. To achieve a more sustainable future it is necessary for the business sector (the biggest consumer of energy produced globally), to implement measures that increase energy efficiency in its facilities.
We’ve invested in improving ours with systems and technologies that contribute to increasing energy savings:
- All our lighting is LED with motion detectors in place across our facilities.
- Our windows include special solar films to save up to 80% on air conditioning during the warmer months, but adding an extra layer of insulation to keep the cold out during winter.
- Reduced the use of single-use plastic by installing a water fountain and providing reusable water bottles, made of recycled plastic) to all our employees.
- We’ve also installed our own energy-efficient heating systems to keep our employees comfortable during the colder months, whilst keeping energy consumption to a minimum.
- As our employees share our enthusiasm for protecting the planet, we’ve also installed EV (electric vehicle) charging stations for those that have already made the switch to electric or hybrid vehicles.
And you? Are you committed?